I'm done! I just completed an intensive 20 month graduate program in Forensic Accounting. No, it's not dissecting numbers in a lab or paying the bills for the medical examiner; it's more like mitigating fraud risk, dealing with compliance issues under IFRS and US GAAP and lots of other acronyms. Why in the world would I want to do that you ask? Because I'm always doing things the hard way. Give me a simple problem and I will dissect it, rearrange it, recreate it, reinvent it, beat it to death until it is begging for mercy, then I will get so tired of dealing with it I will find a simple solution. Or-- call it laying groundwork for my incredibly charmed and enjoyable future. Sure I could have just used the accounting classes I've accumulated over the years to sit and study for the CPA exam and be working in a cubicle for a public accounting office making a reasonable salary and living peacefully. But that would have been too easy. No, I had to go to that extra effort. Ask me what time it is, I might research how to build a watch. A defect I am working on as I write. I'm either working on perfecting it or working on ridding myself of it, I'm not sure which.
You see, I'm in a place of reinvention. I left my bad marriage, fought like hell for my kids' best interests, went into insurmountable credit card debt doing that then had the audacity to borrow an unthinkable amount of money to go back to school and further my opportunities as a career person after 12 years of being a mom first, bookkeeper second. I still put my kids first but I need to earn more money as the sole breadwinner of our family of three. As of today, I actually achieved the goal of finishing grad school. A Masters of Science in Forensic Accounting! Sounds pretty impressive, huh? Well then, I should be walking, no skipping, down the yellow brick road to financial freedom. I should be basking in the light of this new identity, this incredibly empowered single mom with the world as my oyster begging me to come join in the quest for knowledge and prosperity right?!! Not so much.
I'm sitting in a little marine and nautical consignment shop at the far end of town manning the register while my younger son watches a movie on my Kindle on the floor behind the counter. I'm hoping to make enough cash to give each of my two boys something for their upcoming birthdays. Sure I have a great little free-lance accounting business to help get me through this transitory time but it's not cutting it. And frankly, I don't have enough ass to chase down the business. So, for the next 30 days, barring any and all obstacles, I am going on a quest. Sort of like Donkey and Shrek when they went to rescue the multi-faceted Princess Fiona. Only I am going to the yoga studio a half mile from my house. EVERY DAY for 30 days. Starting Monday. And instead of writing about all my epiphany's and life changing poses and Prana after the fact, I am going to take you with me. Maybe not every day but this is the beginning of the rest of my life and I want you to come along...if you dare. It might be boring, it might be enlightening, it might be funny but it will definitely be life changing. It's time.
I will send some light and love your way... ahhh 30 days of yoga sounds like a dream. Bit by bit I am letting go of the possessions of my life.... and need to do the same... do something bigger and better and probably scary and probably not here....You are the best gift of their lives, and I'm sure you will come up with an adequate token that they will love.... Can I have a smart phone, mom? You are so real. I am glad that I know you...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to know you, my friend! Thanks for your kind words.
DeleteMarty, one more thing...That last sentence you wrote, that is the thing that makes it all worthwhile. When someone tells me I am real, it is the highest complement. I have heard it once before and have never forgotten it. Living authentically is the best gift I can give the world. Having people say, "glad that I know you..." that is everything. Everything. Thanks, again for saying so. You are a diamond.
DeleteI am not sure who looks happier-the dogs or you. Your smile is so wonderful-please continue to write and smile-its a loving trait
ReplyDelete