Whenever I feel like I want to write something inspiring the
poison darts come in. I call them poison
darts because my life seems to operate both at warp speed and in slow motion simultaneously. I
know that might not make sense but I bet it does. The poison darts are things like: cover
letters, budgets, billing, broken vacuums, dusty vents, leaky toilets…you get
the idea. My aunt whom I love and respect
as a person and mom once told me, “The days are long but the years fly by!”
It would be hard to pinpoint which event in my current state
of existence is most “blogworthy.” Which
crazy thing can I relate to my cohorts that will allow them to leave feeling good?
If I can’t be a good example I can be a horrendous warning! Who said that?
This reminds me of a poem I scratched on the back of an
envelope after a particularly intense yoga class taught by Marcia Cline at the Ashtanga
Studio in Nags Head several years ago.
Or was it several hundred years ago?
Let me see if it’s still in the archives…
All I can say is after 8
straight days of yoga and 3 days of Anne’s cleanse (I told you I was scared to
go to her class on Thursday) I am hoping I can be in “chair pose” without
thinking about Layne Staley and his “Angry Chair” lyrics,
“Sitting on an
angry chair
Angry walls that steal the air
Stomach hurts and I don't care
What do I see across the way, hey
See myself molded in clay, oh
Stares at me, yeah I'm afraid, hey
Changing the shape of his face, ah yeah”
****************
Here is my poem.
And that is quite enough for today.
A Thousand Little Darts
Friday, May 8, 2009 at 12:30pm
A thousand little darts
thrown at me every day
Each one laden with the poison lie
that I am not worthy.
Why should they decide?
And why do I care that they try?
Wounded and bleeding
from the thousand pricks under my skin
I say “heal me” looking up
only to see storm clouds brewing.
Then I sit quietly
and look within,
there are no marks
there is no judgment.
There is only love,
peace, grace, & authenticity.
Now I see.
There is God living in my heart!
Reminding me with every beat
that I am whole.
Inside I carry the shield
against all that bombards me.
In spite of those poisonous darts screaming
“You are not worthy!”
The sound of their wicked song fades
and now I only hear a bird
rejoicing in the day and grateful
for the coming rain.
~Whitney Evans

Love it Whit!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThank you! <3
ReplyDeleteOh your poem is so perfect... I want to steal it to use as my shield. You are putting into words all that interrupts our lives and side tracks us.... and then we stop somehow.
ReplyDeleteand breathe or sit on the beach like I did last sunday with my dog... and send the darts in another direction...Thank you for writing these words...
Breathe in...Breathe out...somehow I am learning when I truly surrender I am powerful beyond measure! Practice, practice, practice! Love you!
Delete