Thursday, October 24, 2013

Mysore is not just a city in India....

The studio offers an Ashtanga class on Wednesdays.  Ashtanga is a style that is derived from the teachings of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois in the southern Indian city of Mysore.  Appropriately named if you ask me.  I find Ashtanga style very challenging and somewhat unnatural. Maybe I'm just bitter because I have short legs and am not double jointed in the shoulders.  I could say My ____ sore (use your imagination).  Suffice it to say I opted for "gentle flow" instead.

I have finished day three of my 30 straight days of yoga.  That means I am 10% finished.  Not that I'm counting down ~maybe I'm just feeling a little displaced since my days and nights aren't overflowing with Excel spreadsheets and calculations.  But, seriously, OM is not the word that comes to mind today when I am trying to move about freely.   It's more like "ugh" or "ouch."  I am literally afraid to go to Anne's 10:30 class today.  But like I said, my commitment is "Go, unroll mat, participate in yoga, roll up mat, leave".  An exercise in letting go of perfectionism.  A defect I am definitely over.

Regardless of my fussiness, I am thoroughly enjoying the time I get to spend on the mat.  I leave the day at the door.  My worries are waiting for me, most assuredly.  I get to spend approximately an hour and a half being coaxed into stretching, warming and de-stressing my muscles.  I'm not sure how "zen"  I would be feeling in the guy ^here's pose.  Which is why I am taking it easy at first.  

My thoughts are super scattered but I'm on the verge writing something I approve of.  Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. You are inspiring me to write in my "think" book. and am trying to do a little wake up yoga in the am before work... and I don't even get out the mat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty,
      A "think book" is such a great idea! Thinking of you and dedicating my practice to you often! XO

      Delete