The law of diminishing returns is one of the pearls I took
away from my beloved economics professors, Andy Kozak and Don Stabile, back in “phase
one” of college.
I really don’t have too many memories of my undergraduate years
because they are clouded behind the smoky, noisy, beer-soaked overtones of each
Thursday night at “The Green Door” which is still the local watering hole for
St. Mary’s College students twenty something years later. But I digress…
The law of diminishing returns or “diminishing marginal
returns” occurs when some factor is added to the production of a product or
service with all the other factors remaining constant and by adding that factor
it actually decreases
productivity. Like having too many cooks
in the kitchen or too many workers on an assembly line. Remember Laverne and Shirley on the assembly
line at the brewery? If you don’t you
are too young to care about this stuff and if you do then you get the picture below.
I’ve been tossing around the idea of letting go of stuff and
I really do mean stuff because I think my “stuff” is cramming up my Chi and to
be honest the “Feng Shui” in my house is pretty pathetic. I am on day 19 of my 30 days of yoga and it’s
going great. I can’t believe how making
the space in my day for an “unrushed” yoga practice has given me lots of opportunities
to reflect on other goodness.
The poison darts are still flying but I am standing
gracefully while they whiz past. I
credit my deep psoas stretches and stubborn nature to stick to my commitments
for having kept me on track. The
Universe has a subtle way of speeding past at an alarming rate. Sometimes the only thing we can see are the
shiny, pretty things as they go by.
Pretty people, shiny cars, pretty stuff.
Then we miss what is.
Truth: When I first
started all this business 4 years ago I told God that I secretly wouldn’t care
if I had to give up all my worldly possessions and go live in an ashram and
feed poor people and scrub floors to gain some insight. Well, I lied.
I am terrified of giving stuff up.
I leave unfinished business all over the place. I can’t commit. I think if I say no I might miss out on
something. I am the biggest pack
rat. I keep rocks. ROCKS!
I am hopeless when it comes to attaching nostalgia to material
possessions. I want my kids to stop
growing. Where are they on a Friday
night? Not here! But they know I am here and that is a very
big deal. I am chilling and sussing out
all this business of risky behavior and growth.
Don used to use “Guns and Butter” when micro or macro or
whatever economics he was teaching called for it. That was supply and demand (see, I did learn something). I say the law of diminishing returns is
showing me that by giving stuff up I’m gaining productivity. I can be of service. I can move forward. I have to do this little by little. Baby steps.
But that’s OK. I’m on the right
path. Two of my favorite quotes about
that are here:
“Faith is taking the
first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.”
Martin Luther King,
Jr.
“A little
simplification would be the first step toward rational living, I think.”
Eleanor Roosevelt
Om Sweetcakes...

Whit, your writing is excellent. In many respects I'm experiencing a lot of similar life changes and phases and thoughts…I'm a few weeks behind in you in the Yoga endeavor but I'm coming. Always feeling a few minutes or weeks or lifetimes behind something, knowing that much of this is the process those of us seeking enlightenment go through is more than comforting- not to mention I'm in fabulous company. xox
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful words of inspiration! I am waiting patiently because the good things (like you!) take time to hone in on what is important. I'm saving you a spot! XOXO
Delete